Register
Register
Search
Search

Forum Index » ShipWorks 3

How to transfer from hard drive to new computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DustinT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: How to transfer from hard drive to new computer Reply with quote

I've got the hard drive in my possession after a motherboard failure on a system. The hard drive has a copy of the program and data files for our Shipworks. We are running version 3 and had updated the program in the last few weeks, so I'm not sure of the exact version, only that it's pretty recent.

I'd like to copy the relevant files from this old drive to the new computer we are planning on using. Connecting the drive and accessing the files isn't the problem, I just want to make sure the data is properly copied. Any tips?
Brett Berger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install ShipWorks on the new computer, install SQL Server on the new computer during ShipWork installation. When ShipWorks prompts to input license key hit Cancel. Close ShipWorks.

By default the database files on the old computer/drive would be saved in this (or a similar directory)..

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.SHIPWORKS\MSSQL\DATA

the files you would look for and need would be named like this (or similar)

ShipWorks_Data.MDF / ShipWorks_Data.LDF

> Copy the files from the old computer from that directory emailed below (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.SHIPWORKS\MSSQL\DATA) > save these files to a thumb drive or memory stick

> On the new computer Start > Run > type in services.msc then hit Enter > scroll down to find SQL Server for ShipWorks > right click to stop the service

> then browse to that directory on the new computer (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.SHIPWORKS\MSSQL\DATA) > renamed the ShipWorks_Data.MDF to ShipWorks_Data.MDF.BAK and the ShipWorks_Data.LDF to ShipWorks_Data.LDF.BAK

> then copy the files from the memory stick to this directory > if the files from the memory stick do not match the name exactly then rename them to match, example; maybe the file on the memory stick from the old computer is named ShipWorksLISADatabase_Data.mdf / .ldf, rename these files to match the name of the ones you renamed to .BAK above so it just shows ShipWorks_Data.mdf / .ldf

> then go back to services.msc > find and start the SQL Server > then launch ShipWorks on the new computer > click Cancel if asking to input license key > then click the ShipWorks logo top left corner (red/yellow/blue box) > Setup Database > Connect to a running database > then point to the newly running database on the new computer
istanleyl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Do I need to install it on a fresh computer. I have shipworks installed already and it currently use connects to the old computer that doesn't turn on.

Do I install a fresh SQL server for this computer for it to work? Thanks.
Brett Berger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you will need a fresh installation of SQL Server on the new computer for this to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index » ShipWorks 3 All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: